|Frequently Asked Questions
Availability / Reservations:
- Is there a specific changeover day?
- No. Rentals may start any day of the week.
- When is Hummingbird House available?
- For availability, please check our calendar.
- What is the minimum rental period?
- 5 days, but we can occassionally make exceptions.
- Do you only rent in only whole numbers of weeks?
- No. The villa can be rented for any number of days greater than 5.
- Are discounts available?
- Discounts may be available for stays of two weeks or longer or for last-minute rentals. Discounts are not generally available during the holiday season (Christmas / New Years) .
- How do I make a reservation?
- Please email us at email@example.com to make a reservation. We need a 50% deposit to confirm a reservation. This deposit is fully refundable until 60 days prior to arrival. The remaining 50% is due 3 weeks prior to arrival, along with a $400 (US) refundable security deposit.
- What types of payment do you accept?
- We can accept payments via www.paypal.com, by credit card, and by direct bank transfer.
Accomodations / House Info
- How many people does Hummingbird House sleep?
- Our villa has three bedrooms and sleeps six. We generally do not rent to parties of more than six, but we occasionally make exceptions. For pictures of the bedrooms, check out our House Gallery.
- How big is the pool?
- The pool is approximately 12 ft by 20 ft, and roughly 5 ft deep at the deepest point. Photos are available in the House Gallery.
- Do you have a barbeque?
- Our property manager has a gas grill that you can rent from her directly for a modest fee ($75 BDS/wk). If interested, please ask us to reserve it for you.
- Is there cable TV?
- Yes, the house has cable TV with over 100 channels – including movie channels such as HBO and Cinemax -- on a flat-panel LCD TV in the living room. For a full channel list see the "MCTV Premium Package" here. There’s also a DVD player, and movies can be rented locally.
- Is internet access available?
- Yes, we have a PC with internet access in one of the bedrooms, and wireless internet is also available if you bring a laptop. The connection is based on a GPRS/EDGE modem and has a maximum speed of 236 kbps (several times faster than dial-up, but slower than DSL). Although this connection is available free to our guests, our property manager does not provide IT support. The internet service general works quite well (although not at true broadband speeds); however, we cannot be responsible for any downtime or system interruptions that may occur.
- Is snorkelling equipment available?
- Yes. We have masks, snorkels, and fins for our guests to use free of charge.
- Do you have a safe to secure valuables / passports?
- Yes. We have a small safe that guests may use.
- Other Questions?
- See the Accomodations page or email us for additonal info.
- Is Hummingbird House child / infant friendly?
We’ve had many guests with toddlers and other small children who have greatly enjoyed their stay. Of course, you need to be watchful of them around the swimming pool.
- Is a playpen available?
- Yes, we have a Graco Pack-N-Play available for our guests to use free of charge.
- Is a high chair available?
- Our property manager has a high chair that you can rent from her directly for a modest fee ($30 BDS) per week. If interested, please ask us to help reserve it for you during your stay.
- Is a cot / crib available?
- The Pack-N-Play can be used as a cot. A more substantial cot, can be rented from Baby Gear, a local company, that will deliver and setup many child-related items. You can view their price list here.
- Is baby sitting available?
- Yes. Our property manager can help arrange baby sitting services.
- What are the nearby beaches like?
- There are four abolutely stunning beaches in easy walking distance: Palmetto Bay, Bottom Bay, Cave Bay (Harrismith), and Sams Lords Castle. There are several other terrific beaches within a 10 minute drive, including Sharks Hole, Ginger Bay, and Crane Beach. For more information, please see our Beach Guide.
- How rough is the water? Is it safe for young children?
- The surf on the southeast coast can be rough. Cave Bay has a natural break-water close to shore, and so the water is generally placid except at high tide. The water at Bottom Bay & Palmetto Bay is rougher and isn't suitable for small children. Many people (including me) enjoy swimming and playing in the surf there, but this isn't for everyone.
- Should I hire a car?
- We highly recommend that guests rent a car for some if not all of their stay. The good thing about Bottom Bay, St. Philip is that it’s off the beaten track, on the southeast coast of the island. This part of Barbados boasts breathtaking views of rugged natural scenery and secluded beaches of white sand lined with coconut palms. The bad thing is that there aren’t shops and restaurants in easy walking distance.
- Public transportation is available, but service is somewhat infrequent (every 30 minutes or so), and most guests find that they don’t want to spend their precious vacation time waiting for buses.
- Barbados is a small island (approximately 14 by 21 miles) and navigating it by car is not difficult. For a list of car rental agencies, see our Links & Directions page. Most of these agencies will deliver a car to our villa or to the airport upon your arrival. We drive on the left side of the road in Barbados.